Friday, July 24, 2015

Church in Community Development - Part Two

Today we continue the interview with Heather Webber, a community Pastor who worked with Bethany Chapel and the Lincoln Park Calgary Housing units.

11. Were there preconceived ideas or judgement as to low-income communities before you came in to work with it? If so, what were they and have your ideas changed since working in them?

"When I first started out, I thought about How can we help them?  Once I got to know people I realized there were a number of capable and talented people who could help themselves and help me! When I first started working in the neighbourhood I did ask myself - Why are the fences run down and not painted etc.. Once I found out all the rules and regulations with Calgary Housing, I understood why. The desires from many people are there to improve, but the barrier is money and policies due to renting. I realized not to judge, because you don't know the whole story."

12. Did you have any fears coming in to the community? Why and how did those change?

"Some of my fears were: With such a variety of diversity in the community, what could I do?  What could the church offer to its neighbours..and what would that look like? The church is  located right into the heart of the community, and we realized it could play an important part in the community by opening its building up to the community i.e. homework club, soccer, etcand welcome them."

13. What breaks your heart with communities like ours?

"To see people trapped or stuck  in poverty."

14. Have you ever found yourself jealous of us?

"I dont know if I would use the word jealous but I sometimes envy  the relationships you have with your neighbours.   I sometimes see stronger relationships being built then what I see in middle-class and more affluent neighbourhoods.  In poorer neighbourhoods, people are able to exchange gifts and  and talents amongst their neighbours and are more creative.   You don't always find that in other communities who are well off because there is not the need.  When there is no need they tend to consume more and the exchange of gifts does not happen."

15. Do you think "Smaller is better" in community development? Or are partnerships with larger government necessary?

"Smaller communities is better. You don't develop those relationships in larger communities, and it's about the relationships you build in community that are what makes it work.  I  couldn't do what we do without the help and support of Bethany Chapel who has supported me all these years and who contributes financially to needs in the community around it.  Calgary Housing , City of Calgary Community Neighbourhood Services and West Central Resource Centre have been wonderful to partner with, so you do need larger organizations to partner with, but I think smaller communities are easier to work with."

16. What is the role of the poor in change work?

"When you hear about what is making it hard for the poor to get ahead you want to advocate for them, you want to speak up and talk about the unfair policies etc. e.g: Rent control, policies that keep the poor stuck."

17. Do you have a motto?

"My days are numbered so I take one day at a time."

18. What is a moment in community work that you will always remember?

"When I first started out, I met a lady who was going to Mount Royal University, her husband had just left her, and she was raising 4 kids and she was really struggling financially.  Our church had helped her with purchasing some of her books but I knew she was going through a really tough time.   I went home and told my family about this family and my daughter came home from a study group about a week later and handed me a sealed envelope to give to the lady I had talked about.  She had collected some money from friends who cared and wanted to help.  I put it in my purse and forgot about it for 2 days! When I remembered I drove to her house and rang the doorbell. She opened her door a crack and I realized she'd been crying. I asked her how things were going and she said not well. She said to me, "My electricity has been cut off, not only do I have to tell my children that their father does not care about them, I have to tell them that God doesn't care about them either!" I  handed her the envelope and said there are people who do care about her.  She opened it and there was just enough to cover her utility bill.  She then said, "There is a God!" Later during divorce proceedings I attended court with her. The judge went through her financials and asked her how she could afford piano lessons for her daughter, and how could her boys play basketball etc.   For a number of the questions she kept saying, the church down the street was helping.   She told the judge that a piano was donated from the church and once a week a congregation member came and instructed her daughter in lessons. The judge looked up and said, arent you fortunate to have a church like this in your community! The church has the power to make a difference in peoples lives.it is not just for its members of faith, but for people of place in the community."

19. What project made the most significant impact in the community and why?

"The Thread Shed which was made possible by Calgary Housing. We developed a partnership with them based on trust, respect, and relationships. Having this in the community allowed us to get to know the neighbours and provide donated clothing from Bethany Chapel."

20. Coming from an Evangelistic Church, to a culturally diverse community, how were you able to set aside your religious beliefs, and respect those of different faiths?

"My faith is a part of who I am and I know it is important to built trust and respect with those who I work with and who have another faith.    I know that God loves the world and longs to have a relationship with them and  it is important to live out what I believe and to love my neighbor."

22. In my conversations with residents, and others working from outside the community, one of the outstanding comments always made was, "Once I found out a pastor from a church was joining us, I was concerned that it would turn religious." Do you find people become defensive when they learn you're from a church? And how do you break that barrier?

"People who are defensive usually have had a bad religious experience in the past.  I dont come into a situation and push my faith on anyone.  I will bring up my faith if people ask and are curious about what I believe in. Once people trust you they become more comfortable in talking about spiritual things, and what you value in life.  Our church is wanting to contribute where it can in the community and to be a light in the community.."

23. If you were to offer 1 piece of advice to a church thinking about working in their local community, what would it be?

"I would say go and learn from the people living in your community, build a relationship of trust and respect. Work alongside of them and find out what skills and assets they have and start from there.lend a hand when needed and help when asked…….find out what their dreams and visions are for the community and work together to make it happen. "If God wants to draw them into His church, He will.your task is to love your neighbour."

Heather Webber has done an outstanding job in the programs and services she has developed for our community, in the 14 years she has worked in Lincoln Park. Hundreds of lives have been touched by her love, grace, and compassion. With her new role, thousands more will be touched by teaching other churches how to do, what she has done.

Some of the programs are:

Thread Shed,  ESL Conversation classes, Good Food Box, Small Hands - Great Treasures Playschool, Play Café - Toy Lending Library, Time Out for Moms, Let's Talk, Community Gardens, Community Dinners. Special Events include: Spa Night, Christmas Shop, Clean-Up Day in the Community, Homework Club.

Heather credits the relationship and support from Bethany Chapel and partnerships she has formed with Calgary Housing Company, City of Calgary Neighborhood Services, and West Central Resource Centre. "Without the help of many volunteers from Bethany Chapel who love meeting their neighbours she couldn't run the programs."

No comments:

Post a Comment