Monday, February 27, 2017

Calgary Food Bank

Do we still need the Food Bank?
This is the question I haggle with. Is the food bank necessary anymore? The question came up again the last two weeks, as I had to go there.
  1. It took me over a week to try to get through to the food bank. Therefore, I had to go for a week without food. Or would have, if I did not have food in my cupboard. But I couldn't eat that food anymore as it contained gluten in it. So I had to clean it all out, and replace it with expensive gluten-free food as I've been recently diagnosed with celiac disease. So, I spent a week damaging my villa, and had to suffer with sickness until I could replace it.
  2. I finally got through to the food bank, and one of the questions asked was, "What crisis are you having that is making you use the food bank?" Is this question necessary? Is it any of your business? I need food to eat. Plain and simple. 
  3. I had to find a ride to get to the food bank. Therefore, having to ask a friend, to drive me and admitting to someone that I need the use of the food bank. My shame and embarrassment go up, and my dignity goes down. Why is the food bank located in such a horrible location? 
  4. I had a great experience, the people were friendly and helpful. But unfortunately very uneducated on gluten-free items. I was offered bread, cakes, french fries, and other gluten containing items.
  5. The gentleman at the end of the line, when I was packing my cart up was rude. As I was loading my cart I tried to go through the items that contained gluten in them so that I could return it and give it to someone who could use it. Instead I got from the gentleman, "Take your time, it's not like others aren't waiting." Instead of perhaps, "Could you go through the material over here? This would make it easier for us please."
I am grateful for the service I got, the volunteers that were there, and the hard work that people put into this, but, I think we CAN and SHOULD do better. How about.....
  1. Instead of a warehouse, and food, gift cards are given to people? So they can shop for the groceries that they WILL eat, and KNOW what to do with?
  2. Food that is going to be donated from stores to the food bank, designate an area of their store for "free food". This way, things don't expire as soon as people get it from the food bank, and people can access it in their own community.
  3. Also, it took me a week to get through on the telephone. It's 2017! Why is there not a website to order food from?
  4. The question, "Why do you need food" should be taken out. You should not have to justify why you're asking for food. I personally, would rather go down the street and support my local grocery store, and shop for food that I will use and know how to cook.
Honestly, I don't know what else to do, to NOT have a food bank. I know that it's necessary, but it can do better through gift cards, not having a food bank, but a smaller office with volunteers to take the phone line. 

I'd love for people to add their thoughts and opinions, but this is coming from a lived experience point of view. So...I'd like suggestions from people with lived experience, and support from those who donate and volunteer of their experiences, and if what they are doing, is REALLY helping, those who live in poverty?

If you are one of those people who need food from the Calgary food bank, you can reach them here: http://www.calgaryfoodbank.com/
On the plus side, they encourage their customers to offer feedback, and that's a great thing. I was pleased to see this on the wall at the food bank.

2 comments:

  1. There is very little dignity when using the food bank. I agree with you on many things written above, A.J.C.! The whole process is undignified, troublesome, tedious, TIRING (for most people and certainly for people managing disabilities and anxiety), and often very time consuming. I know a LOT of people who skip over food bank until the point of discomfort because they're trying to get in work hours, doc appointments, and cannot fit the food bank "process" into their schedule - or they simply cannot bother to access because they cannot transport their food from the warehouse to home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. You have to take time off of work. You often get food you don't cook, or don't even know what to do with. You have to find a ride, it's and inconvenient location. It's 2017, why aren't we doing better?

      Delete