Friday, January 13, 2017

My place in life

Second day of University

 On my second day of Humanities 101 class we were poised these questions in the classroom, after reading "Swimming Lessons" by Rohinton Mistry.

The questions made me think about my placement in life, and has made me think harder about where my placement in life wants to be.

The questions are thought provoking, and I encourage everyone to do this in their life.


How do we locate ourselves...
  
1.  in the classroom?
  •  I am the person who struggles to make small talk with classmates.

2.  In the course?
  • I am the person who studies hard, reads, and persists in the course to achieve my desired results.
3.  In the University?
  • I am an older student who will probably NOT be engaged by younger students in the University setting.

4. In my home?
  • I am the Master of my home and choices on what to do in it.

5. In my family?
  • I am the member who is silent. who is never asked for advice or opinions, or what is new and exciting in my life.

6. In my city?
  • I consider myself as an outcast of society in my city.

7. In my country?
  • I locate myself in Canada as a citizen.
The one thing I learned, and took out of this. Is where I locate myself, in all of these places CAN be changed. If I work on it. Some of these placements I dislike, and I WANT to change my place in them.

I understand why I am disconnected from my classroom and the University. I go to school to learn and get good grades. Not to make friends. But I can engage with the students, and learn from them. I do not have to make friends, but I can choose to engage, ask questions, reflect, and learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment