Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Crazy


Today is  #bellletstalk day and the most important thing about today, is to talk about the stigmas that is used for people who have mental health issues. The most important thing to remember, is that if you have a brain, you can suffer from mental health issues. I am NOT my illness. I am NOT borderline, yet I have borderline personality disorder. You don't call people who HAVE cancer, "They are cancerous", as someone would say, "They are schizophrenic". They HAVE cancer, they HAVE schizophrenia. Words matter. Use them appropriately and wisely.

A very derogatory term and one that is thrown around way too much. I first remember when this term first effected me. When my son put my name in his phone as "Crazy lady". I found it funny at first, that one word explained my behavior. Once I thought about it more, it's not how I want to be known to him. My name is "Mom" to him, and that is what he should reference me as in his phone and elsewhere.

The really big time it hit me was when I was watching my neighbor's kids. The little girl referred to people who acted different from her as "crazy". Why crazy? Because that is the word that her mom used to refer to her patients at the care homes she went to. 

Terms like this, are hurtful. I am NOT crazy, nor do I act crazy. I act different than others. Different from what their "normal" is. When I cut myself when I'm in deep distress, my coping actions are DIFFERENT than others. 

When I would go do mental health presentations at the University of Calgary, one of the first things I would do is ask the class what they call people who they think are suffering from mental health issues. This is the most common word that came up in every single class.

Other words are, "frequent flyer", "attention seeker", "baby dolls", and "chronic complainer" thrown around by officers with the Calgary Police Service.

And, what is "normal" anyway? My son grew up living with his grandparents, to him that was "normal", people who grow up in a single parent family home, consider that as "normal". It is society who puts these labels out there, so as a society, let's change those labels.

No comments:

Post a Comment