Friday, October 14, 2016

Enough!

It is now 3 days away from Poverty Talks spoken art performance on "Enough" to mark International Day to Eradicate Poverty.

As I look back over the last month, I am taken aback and stunned, at the accomplishments that the group has made.

I see one strong aboriginal woman, who has gone through a great deal of hardship and turmoil in her life. But I also see her healing through this. She is finding her voice by telling her story. She has brought me to tears. I trust that this has helped her.

I see a 15-year-old girl. Who has had to take on so many responsibilities at such a young age. Not because she did not have parents who didn't love her or didn't care. But because there was turmoil with her sibling. Now she grows, and finds her voice and her strength by finding her truth.

This is what Poverty Talks is all about. Helping people find their voices. Helping them become active, engaged, and united. That is a part of what having Enough is.

A feeling of love, belonging, and acceptance. No matter who you are.

There are many of us. Sharing our stories, our voices, our truth.

I do look forward to this. I hope others look forward to this.

Most of all, I hope this changes peoples minds, opens hearts, and brings changes.

 If you are interested in joining this event, you can register at Eventbrite here:

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/enough-spoken-word-to-mark-international-day-to-eradicate-poverty-tickets-27764797256

I'd like to thank Vibrant Communities Calgary, poet Erin Dingle, poet Laureate, Knox Presbyterian Church,  Alex Community Food Centre, New Scoop YYC, and any partner that I may have forgotten.

It is with collaboration from all parties that will make this event so successful, I am grateful for this.

See you Monday!


No comments:

Post a Comment