Thursday, August 24, 2017

Savings Circles

So last night I graduated from a six month course called the Savings Circles program at Momentum Calgary.

I was part of a fantastic group of people while I "earned while I learned".

There were many groups that I took part in and learned from. Some included:


  1. Budgeting
  2. Banking
  3. Credit
  4. Assets
  5. Consumerism
  6. Home Ownership
  7. Debt Management
  8. Retirement.
This was a matched savings program. So while I opened a Tax Free Savings Account in March and put $50 into my bank account, Momentum matched this by three times. 

I graduated last night just shy of $1300 dollars.

How will this help me in the future?

  1. With this savings I can now purchase a new laptop. (My old one kicked the bucket two weeks ago) This means that I can continue blogging, continue volunteering for Poverty Talks! and focus on writing and publishing my book.
  2. I now know that how little money I have, I will always have some money to put aside to deposit into my savings account.
  3. I know what programs and services are available to me and others when I retire.
  4. I know how to manage my debt now.
  5. I know how retail companies and big consumer companies work now, and I no longer buy into the mind games that they play with people.
One gentleman said at last nights speech, that it not only taught him about financial empowerment, but the most important thing that he took out of it was that he was more confident. 

Now isn't THAT what Enough for All is all about??

Empowering the people who live in poverty!!

If you would like more information about the Savings Circles program at Momentum you can find it here: http://www.momentum.org/savings-circles

I want to thank United Way of Calgary, Family and Community Support Services, and Prosper Canada for the funding to provide this program to Calgary Citizens. Along with all of the wonderful, supportive staff at Momentum.

No comments:

Post a Comment