Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Elder's Teachings with Vibrant Communities Calgary

It's amazing to me how much I see the world and people differently from when I was growing up.

You see, my mother's side of the family comes from four children. My Uncle Robert, My Auntie Shirley, My Auntie Donna, and my mom.

But within the last decade, I've realized how much your cultural background is very important to a family. You see, my Auntie Donna, was raised within my mother's family, but was a young woman from the Child Welfare System and came to my grandparent's home as a foster child.

See to me, I don't look at people as black or white, brown or oriental. I've always seen people as just plain Human Beings, this is still true.

But now I am beginning to realize it's just as important to take into consideration everyone's cultural heritage, and to honor that as well.

And thanks to Vibrant Communities Calgary, I have been given an opportunity to learn about many different cultural backgrounds through the Elder's Teachings they have put on this month.

Please see their website http://vibrantcalgary.com/ for more information, and mine (posted tomorrow) and others blogs that are posted on this. And issues regarding their work on  reduction, education, and activism on poverty reduction in Calgary.



I am grateful, and humbled. And have been given even more reason to search my heritage.

No comments:

Post a Comment