Friday, August 26, 2016

Benefits of Living in Poverty?

It sounds wrong, I know. But I'm tired of seeing all the tweets about everything that is wrong with poverty. The hardship, desperation, and stress.

Because I live in it, I can honestly see the benefits of living in poverty; because if you take the time to look, you will find it. Especially living in poverty in #yyc in 2016.

So, what are they? WHY would there be any reason to find the good in living in poverty. Well, here is ten reasons why:

  1.  I live in close proximity to my neighbors. I know each of them by name. Which makes a greater social connection with others.
  2.  My neighbors share their food. When they get an item at the food bank that they would normally not eat, they knock on my door and share their food.
  3. We check up on each other. We know when someone is ill and to help them out when needed.
  4. I am now an empty nester, but I am not. Every night the children knock on my door and we sit on the sidewalk and talk. Or play house, or join our hands with all the kids (and adults) and play Ring Around The Rosie. Although I am lonely, I am never alone.
  5. When one of the neighbor kids is doing something wrong, I can discipline them! I don't mean beating on them. I mean telling them to cut out what they are doing wrong out. They listen, respect me and the parents back me up.
  6. We are resourceful! We know what to do and where to go for the things we need.
  7. We share joys and successes, sadness and grief.
  8. We learn from each other! My neighbor has taught me how to grow fruits and vegetables.
  9. I often get food from the neighbors, a plate of their cultural food. I learn to appreciate their countries dishes.
  10. Governments are listening. They're not just listening, they're ACTING and making changes to better the lives of Canadian's.
I want this blog to be an active, positive, engagement with people. So tell the world, and me, what else do you learn/appreciate/love and value about the lived experiences of people who live in poverty?




1 comment: