Friday, November 20, 2015

Why I hate Christmas


So you like Christmas do you, or even love it? 

Tell me why? Is it because you spend thousands of dollars to light up your house and buy decorations, and buy extravagant presents for you family? 

Well.....this is exactly why I hate Christmas. Not because of the fancy lights or decorations. But because I work in retail, and I see and hear people complaining of the price of some stupid decoration that they don't even need, when I can't even put dinner on the table sometimes. 

Really people, when have we become so selfish? When did we feel the need to show off and waste billions of dollars every year on useless things when there are children in poverty one block down from you? 

And with the economic times that we are having, so many people are feeling that now. 

I would be happy to have a board game, just one board game, and get together with my family for one day with no chaos. Just spend that time with each other and be.....in the moment. Enjoying ourselves. With lots of laughter and food to fill our bellies.

To not have to stress for months before it and try to come up with the money to provide presents for my son and family, to not have to wonder about if it’s good enough for him.

What I would have given to be able to see my son’s eyes light up when he got that Christmas present from me, from “Santa”. Thankfully, I had my parents that were able to do that for him.

But many people don’t. They have to try to explain to their children after Christmas why Santa brought them a $20 present, while his/her school friend got an Xbox or Playstation. Does Santa not love them enough to do that? Have they been bad?

Maybe if we take out all the lights, decorations, even half of them. There really would be “Enough For All” in Canada and elsewhere.

Amber Cannon

3 comments:

  1. Sorry you hate Christmas. But honestly if Christmas to you is about presents and lights then I am really sorry you hate Christmas. This year I have made my own ornaments for our tree, we bake and laugh and listen to music, we dance around and enjoy each other's company. This is what Christmas is to me. The presents that we share are given with heart, not because it's expensive or pretty. Do you have traditions? This breaks my heart to hear you say that you hate Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You for sharing that Cari. And yes, we do have traditions. And I very much love that part of it. Because that's what it's about!! I guess the point I'm trying to make is, that it's hard for people, and most of society and companies have done is exploited it, and taken it's meaning away. I am so glad you love Christmas, and I don't want to take THAT away from anyone. Especially from people who still know what it's really about.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for this Amber. It is a good reminder of what Christmas is really about...to hopefully be able to take the time and be together. In the moment.

    ReplyDelete