Tuesday, November 10, 2015

My #yyc community....Why I love my 'hood Lincoln Park

I was asked by an MRU student today what makes our community different from others in Calgary?

I answered with, because we care about each other. We don't judge, we don't condemn, we don't live in hate or anger. We accept them for their religion, faith, ideas, and struggles.

We care for one another. We look after each other.

We are so culturally diverse. My next door neighbour from Nepal, next to them from Afghanistan, next to them a single mom from Australia, Rowena from the Philippines, Tangie from Nova Scotia, a lady who is an alcoholic.

We look out for one another. We don't shun people, we love them....through every thing they go through.

We drop what we're doing. We share our food, dreams, ideas, struggles, successes, and failures.

We look out for the kids. Instead of turning a blind eye to what they're doing and say in our heads "It's not our child, it's not our problem." We tell the child they are doing something wrong and educate them on it.

When a neighbour has a fire, we contact everyone we can to try and find the number for the person who lives in the unit.

We shovel our neighbours walkways and give them rides to places. We invite them into our homes for coffee, or just to sit and cry on the sofa, because we need someone to be there for us.

This is my #yyc community. And I wouldn't have it any other way!

Amber Cannon.

No comments:

Post a Comment