Saturday, September 26, 2015

Painting Hope Revealing and Celebration


From early morning of the event I was absolutely awestruck.

The Tenant Support Worker and I began to sweep up the parking lot that was graciously donated by my neighbour. It was a perfect location for people to sit, eat, and appreciate the mural. 

3 pm I went and picked up the cake and extra supplies. Came back and saw that the children had picked up brooms and finished sweeping and cleaning the area! I could tell they wanted everything to be perfect for this event as well.

The men came out and helped move tables and chairs and 2 BBQ's to the event. Volunteers came out and started cooking food and setting up the music. The Community Social Worker and Tenant Support Worker helped organize and greet people. People started showing up.

The children started a fantastic flash mob in the parking lot.

Then it was time to honor them. We gathered in front of the mural. I gave my speech thanking them for being the inspiration that I need and want. These children did an amazing job, and I was so proud to see them grow, develop, learn, dream, and hope; I wish to see them continue to do this.

Many children who grow up in poverty, will continue to struggle living in poverty for the rest of their lives. This taught them, I hope; how to help get themselves out of poverty. By continuing to work hard to achieve their dreams and goals. I know how hard it is for them, I watch this on a daily basis, a prime example took place the day of the celebration.

It’s not that the parents don’t care for their children, sometimes, you are so busy trying to survive you just can’t be there for them. For example, we had a lady give birth last week. The day of the event her stitches ripped open from the C-Section and her husband and her had to go see the Doctor. The older sister who took part in the project went with them while the community and I watched their oldest child. 2 other children miss their mom so much, but, she works two jobs just to survive. When she gets home, there is only time for housework, homework, laundry, and cooking. There is very little, if any, time for play.

So this was the perfect opportunity for them to gather as a family and celebrate their success, have fun, be children, laugh, play and be proud of their work.

After I spoke Julie Black with the Calgary Foundation, Deputy Mayor Pincott and MLA Greg Clark came up to say a few words. Then Rho and Maryam cut the ribbon!!!

Deputy Mayor Pincott and Cst. Gallant with Calgary Police Service came up to deliver certificates signed by the Deputy Mayor, and Cst. Gallant handed out gift backs for the kids who painted and took part in project. I hope my community and kids are just as proud of themselves, as I and the broader community are of them. After all, “We are all in this Together.”

Amber Cannon.

































No comments:

Post a Comment