Monday, September 21, 2015

Burn out!

So I get why people don't get involved. Especially when you live in low-cost housing. Because many people have so many diverse needs, and you become burnt out quickly.

But that does not mean you should NOT get involved, rather, it means you NEED to have support in place to support YOU too!!!

This last couple of weeks have been an emotional roller coaster.

First being cut off AB Works and having to worry about paying my bills. The Painting Hope project, working, advocating in front of City Hall. My neighbor having a baby and having to go to hospital, looking after neighbors kids.

I spent way too much time, energy, and effort looking after them, I forgot about my own needs.

I have stopped eating. I have done more damage to my knee, I am not sleeping. I have forgotten to care for myself. I was starting to have paranoid thoughts, and that people were abandoning me.

My DBT skills went completely out of my mind, and I cut myself. It has been 21 months since I've done that.

So come Friday, I am stepping away. I need to look after myself for a while. As someone I respect recently told me, I can't take care of others if I don't look after my own needs first!

It doesn't mean that I don't care. It just means that I care so much, that I need to renew myself to be able to do this again. Stronger, and with more compassion!

No comments:

Post a Comment