Saturday, August 8, 2015

Painting Hope in Community

One of the things that I noticed most at the Painting Hope project was the incredible connection the families had with each other.

I think the families who struggle financially are a lot more connected than families who might not. These families have that sense of loyalty, they look out for each other, they take care of one another.

There is also that stress. Rarely can families just relax and have fun together. Parents are so busy worrying about how to make ends meet and unfortunately, sometimes the kids take the heat for it.

I remember one time with my own child, the 1 time that I bought a treat for him and I to share, (which was rare). I came home from work, and found that my teenage son had eaten it all. I was SO looking forward to having it that night after a long day at work. I flipped out on him, yelled at him.

I felt so guilty and shameful after that. My son was hungry, and he saw nothing wrong with eating food when he was hungry. The thought never occurred to him to take something else. Just the treat.

Last night I watched the kids gather at the ice cream truck. Looking at the ice cream treats and chatting with the driver, but not buying anything because there was no money for it. As soon as the ice cream man left, my neighbour, went inside and grabbed freezies to hand out to the kids. A nice treat to have at an affordable price. The kids SO appreciated it.

Ricole the artist said "More than anything at the engagement I felt this deep sense of family and united-ness that I feel would be amazing to demonstrate. The amazing and dynamic variety of folk in the community can be shown through a vast amount of imagery all together and intertwined with one another."

One little girl has down syndrome. We were not sure how to engage her art into the project. So her mom had the idea of tracing her hands and putting a heart between them. It turned out wonderfully!

So to have an event that benefits the community, gives the families a chance to work on a project together, brings connection, pride, and belonging to them, is something that truly is....priceless.

So really at the end of the day, we have a roof over our heads, some food in our stomachs, but the best part, we have a strong bond with our families and community that is hard to break.

This couldn't have been done without the support of all the community partners. Calgary Foundation for the Grant, Knox Presbyterian Church for being a fiscal agent and use of the church, and our landlord.

And the people who supported us in bringing the mural in. Cst. Gallant with the Calgary Police Service, our landlord, Councillor Brian Pincott, Bethany Chapel, City of Calgary Community and Neighborhood social worker, and the tenants.

Next Engagement is August 25th. We will begin the painting portion of the project after getting approval of design the kids came up with. We will also have Cst. Gallant come in for education and safety portion. He has been a fantastic officer to work in our diverse community, and has really pulled through, above and beyond, the call of duty, with his role.

The saying the artist came up with really says it all. "We are all in this together." I don't believe this is just for these families, or people. But ALL people in this world.




No comments:

Post a Comment