Friday, June 12, 2015

Childhood

Growing up, I wanted to be a teacher, a foster Mom, a member of the Canadian Coast Guard.

I never dreamt of growing up to be poor, of not being able to support my family, of having suicidal thoughts and struggling to live day to day.

I wanted to be married with 2 children, a boy and a girl. Have a career, live and enjoy life. Bring children into my home to parents who could not be there for them.

I never dreamt that I would be that parent who would need someone to look after her child for her.

I never wanted to be like this. Never woke up one day and said: "Gee, Today I want to suffer with mental health issues, struggle to feed myself, and possibly be homeless by the end of today!"

And for ALL people who live in poverty, they never dreamt of this when they were children, this is not something they CHOOSE to be in.

It is reality, and they strive to do better every day.

I hope to find many different stories to bring to this blog, to share not just my journey in life of poverty in Alberta, but those of my friends and neighbors as well.

I hope this changes some people's views on how they view people who live in poverty, and the challenges they face. Not to pity them or feel sorry for them. But to UNDERSTAND them and lessen the stigma and judgements people make of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment