Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Savings Circles - Asset

So I started this Savings Circles program at: http://www.momentum.org/  My first class was on budgeting, my second class, on assets.

We started with, what is an asset? OK, I can do this, I know what this is, in terms of finances.

Then we turn the page and the next question is, "While I'm reading this story, I want you to start drawing."

What is on the page? It's my life, in two years......

The instructor tells the story and I start thinking about teaching DBT skills in schools, owning a truck one day, living in a home, swimming, and then I remember.....

I've been here before, and I've dreamt this before, and I've accomplished my goals before, and been where I've wanted to be in my life before, and it all crashed and burned on me. Just like my goals and dreams always have done before.

WHY AM I DOING THIS AGAIN!!!??? I'LL JUST LOSE IT ALL AGAIN!!!

Tears begin to stream down my face and I get up and leave the room to go to the washroom. I recover my composure and go back to the classroom.

We talks about five asset areas:
  1. Finances
  2. Connections
  3. Skills and Knowledge
  4. Basic Needs and Services
  5. Sense of Self
I set goals and look at what I need to work on in these areas.
  1.  My Sense of Self. (Always a struggle for me)
  2. Basic Needs (Definitely an every day struggle)
  3. Finances 
Now I need to go and make S.M.A.R.T Goals for these.

No comments:

Post a Comment